Monday, September 9, 2013

The post about an electric scooter and what is a healthy BMI?

There is nothing more frustrating than completing a blog post, then hitting the wrong button and deleting it instead of publishing it.  That happened to me yesterday and I was not amused.  It was already 9:45 pm, so I wasn't going to re-write it.  I ended up posting my eats to my Facebook page instead.  You can see that here if you care to.  I can't even recall what I wrote about yesterday.  I do know that I wrote that I got out of the house for a few hours because I went to my girlfriend Elin's house.  I was going stir-crazy and really needed some sort of diversion.  Thanks El:)

I ate okay yesterday, but was in desperate need to grocery shop.  Pickings were slim for lunch and I had to give all the protein deliciousness that we had to my hubby.  He did his long run (the bastard) and needed recovery food.  So I caved and ate a grape fruit in lieu of more protein.  I'm trying to steer clear of fruit right now, but I don't feel guilty.  I remedied the situation today.  I went shopping this afternoon at Walmart.  I got to ride one of those electric scooter/grocery carts. Awesome!  It got old really quick.  I did spent $110.00 on wholesome deliciousness.  Lots of veggies!  Hubby got stuff he wanted too (ie: mixed nuts, banana chips, raisins). BASTARD!  I'm not going near my pantry till that shit is done!  I'm keeping my eye on the prize people.  I will weight less when this whole ordeal is over!

My eats from today.  Didn't bounce around as much today.  I find that when
I'm only on one foot for a long time, My toes go numb on my good foot.
Next they'll start to cramp.  Reminders of running.

Today I made an appointment to see my physiotherapist tomorrow.  I wrecked up my back and neck when I fell.  He can do some work there, but I also want them to show me the best floor exercises that I can do to strengthen my glutes, hamstrings, quads, abdomen and lower back.  I have a few exercise for these already, but the majority are standing up versions because I was mobile when they gave them to me.  I'm also going to keep my massage appointment.  My neck can be stripped which may help with the stiffness.  And I could really use an upper back massage too.  I won't have to put my wrecked face in the massage table hole, I never do anyway.  Marc gives me a pillow so I can put my face to the side and I won't smudge my mascara.

A couple of weeks ago my girlfriend Karen came over.  I hadn't seen her for a while and we needed to catch up.  She hadn't seen my makeover on the Steven and Chris Show.  So I watched it with her.  I hadn't watched the episode since April when I showed it to my dad.  Anyway, Karen commented that I'd lost more weight since then.  The truth is, I have not.  My weight is the same give or take a couple pounds.  I definitely look different though.  My face shape has changed and I was wearing size 11 Reitman's pants in that segment. I now wear a Reitman's size 7.  My point is that with proper eating and exercise, body composition continues to change without the scale moving.

The left photo was taken January 2013, the right August 2013.
My face went from being square to oblong. I do not miss that make up.
It was caked on for the cameras, but I still think that doesn't look like me!
I look older.

I struggled a few times over the past 9 months to drop more pounds.  It seemed that it didn't matter how restrictive I made my diet, the scale wouldn't budge.  But my body still changed.  According to BMI (body mass index) charts, I still fall in the "over-weight" category.  My BMI is 26. I won't be a "healthy" BMI until I weigh 158 pounds. That's 8 pounds away.  I don't believe in the BMI scale and that's not why I want to drop another 10 pounds or so.  When I'm able to run again, I want to be the lightest I can be so that I can come back a stronger and faster runner. That's it.  An interesting side note (to me), when I started my weight loss journey, I was considered "very severely obese" with a BMI of 47.  So I don't feel so bad being labeled over-weight now.  And just for the record, I think I'm healthy at the weight I am now.

I have no unhealthy thoughts or notions about my body, or my size.  This is just my time to switch my focus from running to weight-loss because I finally can.  When I'm training, I can't lose weight. I have to eat enough to fuel my body for my runs.  I'm on a training hiatus right now.  I figure that I might as well use my time constructively.  That, and I refuse to gain any weight over the next 6 weeks.  I may not be mobile, but I will not use that as an excuse to get sloppy with my eating. Right now I have to be very careful with my food intake.  When I run my next half marathon (Chilly Half @ the beginning of March 2014), and the Around the Bay 30K (hubby and I are going to run the whole distance together) at the end of March 2014, I'm gonna be in the best shape ever.  So much to look forward to.  I can't wait!

Size 11 pants on left, size 7 pants on the right.
Really, really too much make up!