Thursday, March 28, 2013

Oh, it is on!!!!!!!

I know what you're thinking...HAWT! Hot mess
that is.  After my vigorous exercise this morning!

I was real excited to see Dr. Stephen yesterday for my weigh-in.  I've been following Phase 1 of Dr. Poon's Metabolic Diet for just over three weeks.  With the exception of when I ran The Bay this past Sunday (I ate Phase 2 on that day), I have been on Phase 1 pretty religiously.  And by pretty religiously I mean I have not been measuring the measurable veggies, but doubt I have eaten more than 4 cups per day.  If you've been reading me for a while, you know that I don't normally weigh myself in between weigh-ins.  Got me a little crazy when I was actively losing weight and it became a bit of an obsession.  I knew that I was doing well because of several things that have happened over the past week.

No less than six people who see me pretty regularly commented that I have lost more weight.  My belt had to be taken down another notch, my fuel belt had to be adjusted to a smaller size and the pants I bought at Reitman's last week (in size 7) were a touch snug in the bum and thigh area when I tried them on but fit me perfectly when I wore them this week.  I know my body pretty well and I know that I have been getting smaller.  So imagine my surprise when I get on the scale and it tells me that I have a three pound GAIN.  That's right!  I gained three pounds!

According to the Tanita Body Composition Analyser, I gained a pound and a bit of water, and the rest I gained in fat.  I told Dr. Stephen that it was not possible, but he kept telling me that the scale does not lie.  Well neither do I.  I wasn't angry, but I was frustrated and pissed that he didn't seem to think my explanation of someone who is more athletic may not be accurately measured on the scale.  He kept saying they were $3000 scales and were extremely accurate.  So I leave the appointment with the attitude of, "I'm gonna show him and that damn scale!  I'll just eat protein and leafy greens".  Then I smartened up and realized that I can't do that.  I'm already eating EXTREMELY low carb, and I can't go any lower and continue to run like I run.  My half marathon training starts Saturday!

So I go on the Tanita website and find this important piece of information in their FAQ section.
Q: Why is there an "Athlete Mode"? 
A: The Athlete mode was developed to provide a more accurate reading for athletic body types. Athletic body types are physiologically different than standard adult body types, due to muscle mass and hydration level differences. Athletes tend to have greater muscle mass and tend to be more dehydrated. These differences would skew the body fat reading high, when taken with the standard Adult mode.

What?  There's an athlete mode?  Tanita describes an athlete as being someone who does approx. 10 hours of vigorous exercise per week (I do 7+ right now, 10 when I'm training) and has a resting heart rate below 60 (mine's been recorded at both 50 and 54).  I'm a bit short on the exercise (since I ran my half marathon on March 3), but my heart rate is right on!  I can guarantee you, I have never been weighed on athlete mode at the clinic!

There is no way that I gained 1.5 pounds of fat by eating lean protein, leafy greens and 4 cups per day of other veggies that grow above ground.  I gave up everything I love!  Red wine, nuts, root veggies, fruit, dairy!  Haven't had any of it for 3.5 weeks!  I had to laugh because Dr. Stephen asked if I chewed gum.  I looked him straight in the face and said, "You really think that me chewing sugar free gum a couple times a day totaling 70 extra calories per week when I burn over 3000 calories per week by running would make me gain 1.5 pounds of fat?"  He had to admit that wasn't probable.  I asked him if it was possible that the fat gain was really muscle and the scale wasn't able to determine muscle from fat.  He said no.  The Q & A from above would suggest otherwise.

So there you have it!  I have had my first "fat" gain in 18.5 months.  While following Phase 1!  So where do I go from here.  I'm staying on Phase 1 baby.  If I'm meant to weigh what I weigh but continue to gain lean muscle (which is fine if you're a runner, or anyone for that matter), then so be it.  I have 2.5 weeks of Phase 1 left, and I intend to see my commitment to fruition.  Makes me feel good that my butt and thighs are finally getting smaller.  Even if the number on the scale is not going down, everything else about me is!  I'm back to see Dr. Stephen again in 2 weeks, and I think I'll bring him the above piece of info printed off of the Tanita website.  Not to stick it to him. I'm always respectful.  But he really should know what he's talking about!  Bring it on!!!!!!