Sunday, July 15, 2012

No easy way out


Taken today and a HUGE milestone for me.
I have not worn a dress (unless it was a special occassion),
EVER!  The dress was a deal, $9 at Wal-Mart.
I felt pretty self-conscious, but my hubby insisted I looked good.
I wore the dress out to lunch with cousins on the Danforth!

I have received a few (or four) emails from blog readers asking me for guidance and advice about losing weight.  Although I don't mind giving encouragement and sharing my own personal experiences, I am not a medical professional, nor am I a dietitian.  I only know what has worked for me.   I am a firm believer in the low carb, low fat, low sodium lifestyle.   It has thus far worked wonders for me.  In (almost) 10 months I have managed to drop 94 pounds by following a metabolic diet.  I don't count calories, I eat till I'm full, and I keep a food journal.

I also don't cheat.  In order for this, or any "lifestyle" to work, you have to be 100% committed and give it your all.  It's not rocket science.  If you stick to an eating plan designed to help you lose weight, you will lose weight (unless you have a medical condition preventing you from doing so).  If you can't be committed to changing the habits that made you over weight in the first place, then you are not ready to follow any "diet" plan.  The "diet" must be something that you can sustain for the rest of your life.  What you are doing here, is making a lifestyle change.  Not for months, or a year, but forever.

Changing your whole lifestyle is not an easy thing to do.  In the beginning, I struggled a lot with staying on track.  I managed NOT to go off plan, but boy oh boy, I thought about throwing in the towel more than once. As time went on, I found it easier and easier to move forward because I became more committed to the lifestyle.  The dropping weight was a huge motivator too.  Now I'm at a place of acceptance.  I accept that I am going to have to commit to my new lifestyle forever.  Time, determination, hard work and the desire to change my life got me to where I am today.  There was no easy fix, no magic pill, just a lot of diligence, and commitment to myself and my family.

In response to my emailers, I told them that it was up to them to change their lives.  No one else could do it for them.  If they weren't ready, that was okay, but they would have to commit 100% if they wanted any lifestyle change to work.  I responded this way to all four of the emails, and no one answered back again.  I conveyed this message in a very polite and non-judgmental manner, but it must have offended.  I'm not sure what they thought I could give them in terms of encouragement, but I believe in being totally honest.  I can't help or encourage anyone who isn't ready to help them self.

For me, it was time.  I just knew things were different on October 10th, 2011.  That's the day I wrote my first blog entry.  I wouldn't have started this blog if I wasn't committed to seeing my journey through.  I had reached the point in my life where something had to give.  I had my family doctor refer me for weight-loss surgery, and was quite adamant that I was going to go that route.  In the end I didn't have to, because while I was waiting to hear about the surgery, I started the metabolic diet, and the rest is history.

Changing my lifestyle has been the best thing I have ever done for myself and my family.  Even my husband has followed suit and has caught the running bug, and even dropped some pounds.  He only needs to lose about 15 pounds total, but we all know how hard that last bit can be.  Again, I am humbled and honoured that people find me inspirational.  I only wish I possessed the power that would allow all to lose weight effortlessly and without pain, tears and emotional turmoil.  Since I do not, you will have to settle for my best wishes that you find your way and gain the strength that will see you through this difficult but worthwhile journey.  You are sooooooooo worth it!