Friday, June 1, 2012

No more excuses!

I'm feeling a little (or a lot) overwhelmed and completely humbled by the support and kind words that I have received via blog comments, Facebook comments, and private emails from readers who say I am an "inspiration" to them.  I never dreamed I would be able to inspire anyone regarding weight-loss and a healthy lifestyle.  For 41 years, I have been unable to inspire myself.  I don't know how I got to this place in my life where I am so focused on something good for me, that it has completely taken over my life.

How many times have I dieted over the years, convinced that this time I would finally do it?  Too many to count.  Something in my head clicked this time around because I have never been able to commit to something that wasn't a "quick fix" before.  A co-worker approached me last week and asked me what my secret was.  She has a significant amount of weight to lose and she wanted to know what my "quick fix" was.  I told her that sadly, there wasn't one.  I have lost almost 90 pounds by diet and exercise alone.  She was surprised and congratulated me for my success, but I could tell that she wanted to hear that I took some sort of magic pill or something.

This is not easy.  Sticking to a completely different lifestyle than what one is used to is not easy.  But I knew that this time I was ready and I was not going to make excuses anymore.  That is exactly what I have done my whole life.  I have made excuses as to why I was 130 pounds over weight.  Some of my favourites included but are not limited to:
  1. I have a slow metabolism.
  2. I can't exercise because I have heel spurs and bad knees. 
  3. It's genetic.
  4. Although I'm obese, I am still pretty healthy.
  5. I really don't eat that much.
I could go on and on and on.  But I won't.  I got tired of making the excuses and decided that I finally needed to act.  The day I went for my first appointment (it was a Friday) at Dr. Poon's clinic, I recall Dr. Stephen being very blunt and honest with me about my weight and health and I really appreciated it.  He didn't sugar coat anything, he told it like it was.  I was at risk for a huge list of diseases and ailments and if I didn't do something about it now,  things would only get worse for me as I aged.  That message was crystal clear and something I absolutely needed to hear.

I remember being given the option of starting the "diet" on Monday, and coming back in two weeks for my second weigh-in.  I left the office and had every intention of having a last "hurrah" weekend.  I was going to indulge like no one's business, then get down to business first thing Monday morning.  As the day wore on, and I continued to obsess over food, I realized that I had to start immediately and take control of my life once and for all.

I could no longer be a slave to food and instead needed to master my self control.  There was going to be no magic pill, no quick fix.  I either had to do this now, or resign myself to a future of disease and an early grave.   I woke up on Saturday morning with nothing "Poon friendly" in my house except eggs, cabbage and low sodium canned tuna.  You know what I did?  I ate that as my meal, started my food journal, and went shopping for things I could eat. I haven't looked back since.

I have completely dispelled every excuse I have ever made in regards to being 130 pounds over weight.  I have proven that:
  1. With proper food and exercise, my metabolism works just fine.  
  2. I can exercise without issue and once I dropped some weight, the heel spurs and bad knees magically disappeared.
  3. My birth mother is a larger woman, but I have managed to lose almost 90 pounds.  It is not genetic!
  4. I had high blood pressure and was on 2 medications to control it.  I am no longer on any blood pressure meds and my blood pressure is very normal, thank you very much!
  5. I did eat a lot....of processed carbohydrates, sugar and fat.  Once I cut those out, the weight started to fall off.
Is this lifestyle easy?  I'm not gonna lie, some days are easier and some days are really hard.  What keeps me focused with my eye on the prize is the way I feel.  I have never had so much energy.  I actually look forward to running and doing yoga.  That was completely foreign to me 8 1/2 months ago.  I thank everyone for their on-going support and kind words.  It means the world to me that people read what I have to say and take something away from it that may help them on their own journey.  My wish for you is that you continue to find inspiration where you can, but also that you begin to inspire yourselves.  Because...