Sunday, May 6, 2012

Phase 1 friendly garlic lemon chicken with spicy baby bok choy

Although this is a very long awaited recipe post...I did want to mention briefly that I ran the Hazel 5k yesterday and bettered my time by 2:24.  I'm waiting for the official race photos to be posted tomorrow to see if I wanna buy any before I do my race post.  I am proud of the fact that I bettered my time by more than 2 minutes...and now I'm looking to better that time on the 26th of May when I do the Run for Wells.  I have three weeks to train, so I'm sure with determination and hopefully a few more pounds shed, I'll be able to better my time yet again!
A pretty unflattering photo...I look old around the eyes!
Definitely sunglasses next time!
I made a slow cooker chicken recipe today.  The unaltered recipe with a picture is here.  My chicken pretty much looked identical in my crock pot, except I didn't return it to the crock pot after shredding it.  Unfortunately, I'm still without a camera...and have not gotten around to upgrading my ghetto phone just yet.

For this recipe I used:

I whole chicken, washed and patted dry
3 bulbs of garlic, peeled
2 small cooking onions, peeled and cut into large chunks
lots of Italian seasoning
1 1/2 lemons
Half salt
pepper

Other than the garlic, onions and lemon, I didn't measure anything.  I washed and dried the chicken, layered the peeled garlic (minus about 6 cloves) and the chunked onion (minus about 1/2 an onion) in the bottom of my slow cooker.  I rubbed the chicken generously with Italian seasoning and sprinkled it with Half salt and pepper to taste.  I placed the remaining garlic and onions in the cavity of the bird, along with a generous amount of Italian seasoning.  I put the chicken in the slow cooker on top of the garlic and onions.  Then I cut the lemons in half and squeezed them over the chicken.  I placed the lemon halves inside the slow cooker and managed to stuff one half a lemon in  the cavity of the bird.  I set it on low for 6 hours and took my son out for the remainder of the afternoon.  When we got home, my house smelled AMAZING.  I love garlic and lemon.  My two absolute favourite things!  When the cooking time was up, I took the chicken out and let rest on a plate.  I removed all the skin and bones and shredded it, but DID NOT return it to the crock pot (as done in the original recipe).  Instead I made this Spicy Baby Bok Choy recipe, exactly as described, and served the shredded chicken on top of it.  It was mighty tasty and I'm happy to have left overs for tomorrow.

So there you have it!  The meat was so flavorful because of all the garlic, onion and lemon.  Even though I didn't eat any of the crock pot ingredients, all the flavors together worked really well.  And the liquid from the bok choy kept the meat moist.  Looking forward to doing it again, I have an abundance of whole chickens in my freezer.  There was a good sale about a month ago.  Enjoy!