|Yep, I had to do this last weekend:-(|
- My weekly blog update has turned into a bi-weekly update. Read on if you want to hear nothing but a lot of bitching and moaning. You have been warned...
- Lets start off with the bad to get it out of the way. Training for the Around the Bay 30K. Not going as well as it did last year. I definitely trained harder last year. I learned yesterday the the last hill on Valley Inn Road is not going to happen. Also dubbed "Heartbreak Hill" it's the reason I do hill repeats while training. It's a real bastard and I refuse to walk it. When you get to the top, you only have 3K left to run to the finish but it's the longest 3K ever. So funny thing is, this year I did not do hill repeats. I do hills while I run, but not repeats like I should for training. No excuse really except for the snow and cold. Which isn't a viable reason. We had snow and extreme cold last year too. So did I score? Not really. The last hill is a challenge and I love a challenge. It won't feel like the same race without the hill.
- Training for the Bay is the hardest race to train for. You have to train seriously and you have to do it in the dead of winter. We've had lots of extreme cold alerts. I'm likely going to exaggerate here, but it seems like they happen for a couple days weekly and have since the New Year. Last weekend, this past Thursday and Friday, all extreme cold days due to an arctic air mass. It's warmed up again, and the projected forecast doesn't look too bad. The worst day looks like Monday with a low of -24C. That I can handle. When it's -30C and colder, I can't run. My lungs hurt and I lose feeling in my lower body. That's when I'm likely to get frostbite. And frostbite is no joke. I lost 2 toenails to frostbite last winter.
- Last Sunday I had to very grudgingly drag my ass to the gym and run on the DREADMILL. Only the 2nd time I've done this and I hated every minute of it. Truly. I listen to talk radio when I run and I can't get reception in my gym. The TV's don't interest me and I spent the entire time watching myself in the mirror. Which only confirmed what I already know. I look incredibly awkward when I run and I need to work on my form.
- Now for something positive. I went for a Pilates re-assessment at physio. I definitely have a stronger core. My assessor, Laura, could see some real improvement from when I first started back in November. This makes me happy. Pilates is also no joke. I get such a good full body workout during the hour I do it. I don't like going, but I never regret it once I'm done. And it's just one of those things I make myself do. Pilates is hard work and I'm always sore the next day.
- Something we discussed was my chronic hamstring issue. I injured it while training for my first half marathon 2 winters ago and although it's not always present, it bugs me from time to time. Especially when I up my mileage (now), or sit for a long time. Laura suggested I try IMS (IntraMuscular Stimulation). It's not fun physio. It's actually acupuncture and the needles would go into the backs of my upper thighs and buttocks. Definitely not as sexy as it sounds. I figure I'll give it a go. I've nothing to lose. I have an assessment booked for next week.
- Yoga is still something I enjoy immensely. Due to a holiday this past week and having to run on Wednesday morning because I had to switch run days due to the cold, I haven't been since last Sunday and I'm missing it. Tomorrow I run 20K and I'm hoping to do it early enough so I can make the 10am class, but it's unlikely. I can't do the 12pm class because it's Julien's reconciliation and we have to be at church for 1:30pm. And Monday night I have plans to meet up with some awesome women I haven't seen in ages. I'm going through yoga withdrawal and I'm really jonesing. Can't wait for Wednesday morning. I'm gonna practice yoga like it's my job!
|Yeah, I had wine...while training. Don't judge me...|
- Let's touch on my eating now shall we? So I'm not eating enough. Counterproductive really. I need to a) remember to eat and b) eat more frequently. Never in a million years did I ever think food would be so unimportant to me. True story. Still following my grain-free lifestyle. That will likely not change anytime soon. It's how I feel most in control. Control is very important for a former binge eater. My mileage has increased over the past month so I really need to be mindful of getting enough quality calories into me.
- Wine has crept it's way back into my life. Not 4x a week which was my non-training wine schedule, but once a week. Had wine last weekend and again yesterday. Not the quality calories I should be ingesting right now, but it is what it is. I'm just a lying liar who does nothing but lies. And I'm over it...
- I've not weighed myself in a couple months and I'm fine with that. My body feels normal, if not a touch leaner. I'll tell you where I'm leaner, my torso/abdomen area. My legs have gotten more muscly. That is from running in the snow and working out on the Pilates reformer. My calves and inner thighs especially. And I don't mind at all. Bring on the leg muscle. I'm a runner! I've also got more defined shoulder muscles. That's just from yoga and Pilates. I'll take it!
- That's pretty much it. A dull and boring existence I lead. I think today I will be getting my hair trimmed and my bangs cut again. Exciting times. My forehead is massive. Really more of a fivehead to be honest. And this time of year is best for bangs. They don't stick to your head in a hot sweaty mess. Hoping you keep warm or cool. Depending on where in the world you are!
|On Family Day this past Monday Julien and I met his cousins at the|
Ontario Science Center. Fun times! Top right photo we're in the Imax theater.